The market is filled with a variety of insulators out of which widely used materials are ceramic. Its market is steady due to long period of application while the market of polymers is on the growth both in the field of hollow core insulators as well as in elongated rod line. Due to various chemical and physical properties and various types of testing done on composite polymers and on ceramic, it is found out that polymer like silicon, EDA is the future of insulators. The comparison between the two types of materials and testing details are listed as follows:
- The main property that both materials have is insulation from electricity. Both the material posses’ resistance to electricity. However, due to the arrangement at the molecular level of atoms, silicon provides better insulation than ordinary ceramic.
- Alongside of better insulators, it also provide thermal resistance even in high temperature, which gives silicon insulators edge over transmission of high voltage electricity as high voltages produces high levels of heat energy, which normally ceramic material cannot withstand.
- Sometimes transmission line is subjected to physical or mechanical loads due to various reasons, but in polymers, due to tightly packed carbon atoms, it has higher tensile strength than ceramic material.
- Another property is it is resistance to oxidation, UV radiation and dust. Such environmental factors can degrade the insulation property of the ceramic material. Atmospheric contamination can lead to electric discharge eventually flush over. But thanks to polymers, no leakage happens even in worst climatic conditions.
- One of the great factors which favor the silicon is hydrophobic nature. When contaminations steadily build up and reach its peak value, there is a development of electrolytic film leading to mass leakage in materials like ceramic. But due to property of resisting moisture from its surface, silicon insulators do not face such problem even in high humidity.
- Another great advantage of silicon material is that it is very economical due to the reason that it is very flexible, light weight and less breakage with more seismic improved performance making it very easy to handle and carry from one place to the other. It can be installed easily unlike very careful handling is required in case of ceramic insulators especially in transportation and installation.
- Silicon rubber has the unique ability to interact with the oxygen present in the environment. Even after degradation of outermost surface from moisture and oxygen results in least part of diffusion of low levels of molecular weight of polydimethylsiloxane fluid to outer surface, it easily recovers after exposure.
- Silicon insulators have low surface energy than ceramic insulators, which makes these insulators more stable.
Earlier ceramic insulators after long testing, the manufacturers in order to improvise the performance of the insulators tend to increase creepage distance. But due to hydrophobic nature of silicon rubber, it is no longer required. Hence, after considering these factors transmission silicon insulators are much better than ceramic insulators